Friday, December 5, 2008

This Week--- Recitals

Monday evening, Amber held her first piano recital for her students. She had worked really hard to make it an enjoyable time for those who attended and it paid off. There were between 45-50 there. The kids did such a great job! The cutest little guy, Zachary, won the trophy for most memorized pieces. A little Chinese girl, who was absolutely adorable, played "The Snowman". (If you upsize the group pic, you can see her in the blue checked jumper/pink blouse.) I doubt she could even reach the pedals, but she did such a fine job on her piece. Clayton has been taking lessons and is really enjoying it. He's a bit different than Amber; in that, she would become so nervous before recitals she would end up sick to her stomach. Clayton actually enjoyed it and said he wished he could have a recital every week.

Amber had made around 100 cookies in the shape of music notes to pass out. She placed two in each Christmas treat bag. The picture below was taken well after the fact, so the sugar is starting to melt, etc. Let me tell ya.... These cookies were SOOOOO good!!!! We have a friend who works at Cookies-by-Design and she would bring us cookies sometimes. I love their cookies, but I think these were very comparable to theirs. Amber made them thick, which I think really helped. She had several compliments the next day when she had lessons, so I know people enjoyed them too. She used the Buttery Decorator Icing from the Pillsbury book and it's very delicious!

Last night, we went to Cinci-OH area to attend the senior recital of David Harkopf Jr. He did an absolutely phenomenal job!! His accompanist was awesome too. It seems pretty amazing that when we moved here about 10 years ago, David was around 15. This year he is graduating with his masters from Miami University in Oxford, OH. We're thrilled at how God is using David's talents in some pretty big ways. It was also great to see fellow-blogger and friend, Melanie Kuhn Clemens! I kind of had to re-introduce her to my husband. Ha! Little girls have a way of growing up!!








































































































5 comments:

Melanie C. said...

It was so much fun to get to see you, too! It is such a small, small world, isn't it? Tell your husband I just might forgive him for not recognizing me...a husband and 3 kids later I AM SURE to look different, huh? :-)
So exciting about Amber's Recital she put together!! My, what great kids you have...but I am pretty sure you knew that!!

Tamra said...

I can't believe how grown-up both of your kids look! I'm sure they made you proud at the recital.

Kim M. said...

Wow what an accomplishment for one so young!

Anonymous said...

Leah, how wonderful to read and see the pictures. Tell Amber - Great Job!!! Also I would love it if you would blog the recipe for the cookie and icing that Amber used. By the way, Ernie wanted to let Dan know that it is 70* here today and we sat on our front porch and ate lunch there!! LOL

A Peek Into My Life said...

That is so impressive - what a responsible and gifted young lady you are raising! That is just so neat. :)