Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Decorating for Christmas


I know, it's early yet. And I certainly don't want to take anything away from the blessed Thanksgiving holiday.... but decorating is a process, December is extremely busy, and on and on it goes! Plus, I kind of like the feeling of having the Christmas tree up as we gather for Thanksgiving dinner.
We usually do have our tree up before Thanksgiving. Once November arrives, my family is after me to get it up.
Dan and Clayton left for up north and the cabin with a man from our church this morning. They are going to be ready for Michigan's opening day of gun season and deer hunting tomorrow. They're to be gone through Saturday. Dan's not an avid hunter, but has taken up the sport within the past couple of years, because Clayton has taken such an interest in it. It does give them some quality father-son time. I would be ecstatic for them if they could get a deer. It will have to be a buck, because the doe tags were sold out.
Knowing they had planned to be gone, I thought I would spend this time decorating my house for Christmas. Clayton didn't like that idea. He wanted to be home whenever I decorated, so I started this past Monday instead. Why is it that every year, I have to create a BIG disaster just to decorate for Christmas? Am I the only one to which this happens? It usually takes 2-3 days to recover from the disaster- if you know what I mean. So, now I'm in recovery mode! But the joy of the season is surrounding my heart, all the same!

A couple of years ago, I was wanting to do something a bit different to update my Christmas tree decor, but knew I didn't want to spend the money to completely buy all new stuff. While at work, a lady mentioned how that she had gone across the street to Bordine's Nursery and learned to make bows. I went to Bordines and found that it wasn't as hard as I would have thought. It just takes some patience. We sell some beautiful ribbon at Joanns, so I bought three different types and mixed them for the bows which I added to my tree. Ribbons and bows are fun! They can be used in floral arrangements, gift wrapping and so many other ways.



I live within one mile of the nations largest Salvation Army Thrift Store. Due to some of the high class lifestyles in the surrounding area, there are some great finds. A few years ago I found this nativity scene for somewhere around $3-$5. I had been wanting one for a long time. I was thoroughly satisfied with this one.

There are so many things which aren't important that vie for our attention at this time of year. I really do desire to keep Christ first! Even as the secular culture tries to push Him away, I welcome Him here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bows are beautiful. I'd love to learn how to make bows like that.

Kim M. said...

Love your decor!

Tamra said...

I'm jealous that your Christmas decor is already up. :) I will be dragging mine out probably on Tues. of next week. I do enjoy it though and Bryson can hardly wait.

Cheryl Watters said...

Love to read your blog! You are so talented with decorating and with writing! Love ya lots, Sister-In-Law Cheryl